Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Something's Missing
I have found it very helpful for my own spiritual life, if I can attend Mass during the week as well as on Sunday. My own parish has only a Wednesday evening Mass which I attend, but I have found that a local Catholic hospital not far from my home has Mass in its chapel twice a week. The hospital is within the service area of a Catholic parish not my own. The pastor celebrates Mass there before going on his hospital rounds. Our little community of about 15 regulars come mainly from the priest's parish, but also from surrounding parishes like I do. We are a congenial group.
So what is the problem?
Although the Mass is celebrated reverently, it is missing some of its little rituals. What has happened to the several drops of water that the celebrant is supposed to pour into the chalice with the wine? The co-mingling of the water and wine. There is no water cruet set out for that or for washing his hands. There is no paten for a larger host; only a plate containing the small hosts. What has happened to the breaking of a consecrated Host and the tiny bit that is supposed to be put into the chalice with the Precious Blood? It doesn't happen as far as I can tell...
It's a pity since these rituals all have a meaning that now is lost to those of us who attend these Masses. However, I am not the one who is going to call the priest's attention to the lack of these rituals. From what I have gathered, he is not happy when he is questioned about certain issues. I am a visitor there so I am just grateful that I can attend these Masses and receive my Lord during the week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Ok, first of all, you're not a "guest" at a Catholic Mass. The Liturgy is the re-presentation of Calvary, and under Canon Law, ALL of the Faithful, no matter WHERE they attend Mass, are subject to certain rights. That means you have the right to a proper liturgy.
It's not "liturgy done here is x and liturgy done there is y"
No. It is the SAME liturgy everywhere,the SAME sacrifice of Christ. It is outside of time, beyond the walls of your own present location, and whether that priest likes it or not, you have a canonical RIGHT to complain about it.
So I encourage you to send a letter to the priest if you are uncomfortable (which obviously you are) in addressing your concerns.
Date the letter and keep a copy. He has 3 months to respond, canonically. If he does not respond, take it as a "no". Then send the same letter to your Bishop. (I advise telling the priest in the first letter that if a second one is needed it will go to the Bishop. This is courtesy, not a threat, and also lets him know you're not a crackpot. Be professional.)
The Bishop has 3 months to respond, and he will. A chancellor will realize the canonical responsibility and you will receive a response. It may not mean that the problem is immediately corrected, but you need to assert your rights as one of the Faithful, and it's best to do this properly.
People want to go right to the Bishop; the can. But the Bishop will FIRST ask: have you spoken with/addressed the offending priest?
If you say no, well..it's back in your court.
Go to the source first, do it properly, and don't be afraid to assert your canonical rights to a properly celebrated liturgy.
the Mass isn't about Us, it's not about the location of it. It belongs to the CHURCH and when it is not done properly it actually cuts people off from Grace.
I'm glad you see it. Many don't.
Pray for the priest, and hold him accountable, for if you don't...God will.
Silence gives consent.
As I said before, I am not going to rock the boat. All you say is true, Adoro. I am well aware of the process.
However, this priest is not obliged to celebrate this Mass at the hospital chapel. He could very well celebrate it instead in his parish church less than a mile away.
If there are complaints, he could simply return the Mass to his own parish. I have only since Lent begun to attend the Mass in this hospital chapel. I am happy there and wish it to continue.
The priest certainly is aware he is not following the rubrics as written. However, the Mass is not illicit and it is quite reverent. I would respond differently if it were not licit (or whatever the correct term is).
Thanks for your response, Adoro. You have done a valuable service for those who do not know the complaint process.
What she said.
If you don't want to do anything or talk to the priest, be at peace, and accept your desire for the full liturgy as a seed of faithfulness in your heart.
Thank you, Fr. Charles... I am at peace with my decision not to make a complaint.
I would not want to do anything to hurt the people who attend this Mass. They are a closeknit group who have welcomed me, a stranger, into their midst...
Post a Comment