It's a puzzlement! What to do... what to do... About five or six years ago, I put together our parish's website... I am strictly an amateur at website building. However, since we are a small parish, the site was unique and served its purpose. I bought the name and I renew it each year as part of my contribution to my parish.
Recently, a new parishioner who is a professional web designer arrived and offered to build a new website for the parish. All that was perfect timing for me, because of a changing family situation, I no longer have the time to devote to updating the site. He is doing a fine job and has brought lots of interesting additions to the new site.
But here is my problem: In addition to building the website those years ago, I was also asked to set up a blog by our priest at the time so that parishioners could write reflections on the homilies and readings we heard every Sunday. The person writing the reflection that week would send it to me and I would find the perfect picture or image to go with what was written and then I would place the article on the blog. I really loved doing this and people enjoyed it.
Now, the web designer wants to incorporate the blog into the new website. This is not a bad idea on the surface because it will bring more readers into the mix and more information into the blog. BUT, all those five or six years worth of previous articles/photographs will probably be lost. This is what hurts my heart! Plus, the web designer is adding his own headers (pics) to the blog articles and wants to leave my pics out. This also hurts my heart since I have spent a lot of time finding just the right image for the articles people write. His issue with my pics are the low resolutions I use.
Soooo, what to do? Actually, the reflections have changed since the original priest left. He always had a special take on the readings and so the articles were really exemplary. Our most recent priest had a different style altogether which made it difficult to write about what he had to say. Our new priest's style is also not the same... As the years have gone by, it has ended up that I am writing most of the articles since people have gotten older and less willing to write. So, my questions are:
Should I abandon the old blog or continue to write for it and have the designer transfer the articles to the new website/blog?
Since I love to write these reflections, should I just place them on this blog and concentrate on this one and let the new parish blog exist on its own?
I can't seem to think clearly about this issue, so I would love to have some input from my readers...
Image from wallpapers shop

2 comments:
I know of people who have tried to transfer from an old blog to a new, and their experience says it is not worth the time and effort. I agree.
Relative to the new blog, if the new webmaster wishes to continue what you started, I would let him. We all go through phases in our lives, and perhaps this one is over for you; you led the way, now others may follow. Relative to your initial blog posts, I wonder how long they will remain available for viewing should you just stop posting? They could be a link ("Old blog posts" or some such title) on the parish website. I know of sites which have had no new posts in over a year, and they still are accessible.
I've decided to continue posting on the old blog for the time being and the new webmaster simply lifts what I have written and placed it on the new website blog.
Maybe there is a way to keep the archives since there are some great photos of parish activities on there. I'll check it out.
Thanks for your input...
Post a Comment