Sunday, February 26, 2012

Don't say "Goodbye"...


The priest and I again visited Minnie who had just been moved to another hospice care facility. She was getting much weaker but she purposely forced herself to sit up in the bed because she wanted to be anointed again and to receive Communion.

Because Minnie was so weak, I suggested that the priest do only what was necessary for the rite, rather than every prescribed prayer. She was able to receive Communion and, I know, she was grateful that we had come.

As we were getting ready to leave and were saying our goodbyes, Minnie spoke up and in no uncertain terms, reminded us: "Don't say goodbye... say, See you later!"

Minnie died two days later...

See you later, my precious friend... when we all meet at the throne of mercy... May you rest in peace in the arms of our loving Father.


2 comments:

Do Not Be Anxious said...

Thank you so much for this timely post. I just received a call from a friend, whose mother I have been visiting in the hospital for months. My friend informed me that she told the new hospital caseworker that I was the closest to a spiritual adviser that her mother had, and so I was asked to be with the caseworker next week when the subject of "giving up" is spoken to her mom. On a ventilator for nearly two months, she remains very weak, but hanging on. Hospice organizations will not accept someone on a vent.

It will be a difficult conversation to have. Thank you again, for writing.

pennyante said...

Do Not Be Anxious: Thank you for your ministry to your friend's mother... You have been truly honored to be asked as part of that important conversation... God bless you...