Monday, July 27, 2009
Good News!
From today's readings: "All these things Jesus spoke to the crowds in parables. He spoke to them only in parables... "
The Gospel reading was from Matthew (Mt 13:31-35) and concerned the two parables, the mustard seed and the yeast as leaven. I got to thinking about the phrase, "He spoke to them only in parables..." Why only in parables? Of course, the reading says the reason was to fulfill the words of the prophet.
However, I would add another reason too. Just think, if someone came to you and gave you a new teaching that went way beyond what you were familiar with. A bit like Jesus speaking about the Kingdom and that He was the Savior who had been promised. Wouldn't you be a little hesitant about jumping on Jesus' bandwagon. Wouldn't you wonder if Jesus wasn't a little mentally challenged? You might even shake your head and turn away because such talk could get you into trouble. Your immediate response would probably be a NO!
BUT, if Jesus spoke in parables, I might be wondering what He meant. I might begin to think about some possibilities that I had not thought of before. It might come to me more clearly after I had an opportunity to turn these ideas over in my head. Maybe Jesus meant this... Maybe Jesus meant that... What did He mean? I might even go to Him privately and ask Him to explain it a little better. I might begin to see that what Jesus was saying wasn't impossible at all. And when I spoke to Him, I suddenly realized that He was not crazy either. That His words and actions were drawing me in. That He was someone I had been yearning for. That I wanted to be a follower, a believer... and a friend.
This conversion might not have taken place without the mental questioning that a parable evokes. So I am thankful that we have so many instances in the Gospels where Jesus does use parables to instruct us. That's Good News to me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Parables are also less directive. They are didactic without being demanding. We are given examples and, based on the example, choices. God has always given a choice: to follow or not. (Of course, all choices have consequences so we, in essence, also "choose" the consequences.)
Post a Comment