Thursday, July 9, 2009

Light to see by...



On Wednesday evenings, I am the one who turns out the lights and locks up the church after our choir has finished rehearsing for Sunday's Liturgy.

As the last light is extinguished, I am left temporarily blinded by the total darkness. Before my eyes adjust to the darkness, I must find my way to the final sanctuary step without tripping.

For about ten seconds, I can see nothing. But one of my friends is always near that hazardous step, lighting the way with her cell phone's glow so I won't fall. She realizes that the step cannot be seen from my direction.

This weekly ritual of being in darkness and then seeing light and following it, reminds me of how God often works in our lives.

How many times have we walked in the darkness and confusion that is sin, trying to feel our way, find our way, out of the turmoil it has caused us. God's light of forgiveness dawns in our souls and His grace allows us to take another step toward Him.

"Lord, give us light to see by..."


No comments: